Monday 5 November 2012

The definition of being brave

If you look the word brave up in the Oxford English Dictionary you get the following definition; 

"Ready to face and endure danger or pain; showing courage"

The thing I hate the most (along with people saying sorry) is when people call me brave. I am not. I did not choose to fight this battle, I'm simply dealing with it and coping with it in the best way I can. Bravery is when you choose which battles you want to fight and throw yourself head first in to them. 

The definition of bravery is this girl; 




Malala Yousufzai, the 15 year old Pakistani who was shot by the Taliban just because she wanted to go to school; Her fight started back in 2009 when the Taliban ruled that girls could not attend school anymore. She began to write a blog for the BBC and after that rose in popularity, then started giving interviews all over the world. This all came to a head on the 9th October 2012, when returning home from school on the bus she was shot in the head and neck by the Taliban. As I am sure you have all seen on the news she is currently being treated in hospital in Birmingham and doing well. As a result of this the UN has launched a petition and campaign stating that by the end of 2015 all children worldwide will be in school. The campaign has naturally been named after her; "I Am Malala"

So next time you think about calling me brave, please think about Malala instead.

Ella xx

5 comments:

  1. Hi Ella
    I'm going to contradict you! There are so many forms of bravery, and Malala's is one (incredible and amazing) expression of it. You didn't choose your illness, but you ARE showing incredible bravery by choosing to deal with the consequences of it in a particular way - as are your family - as shown by your Mum's blog, & for example, you directing our attention to other brave people. Hope you don't mind me expressing my opinion! Loads of love to you & your family , Kim xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Kim, but did not be the one to say it. Some "choose" to deal with things, others just "have to". Either way, it is the way one does so that marks them out, love U Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ella....you may not be "brave" in your world but you are "facing and enduring" pain(not your choice I admit) but others would not be doing in the same way....... I totally agree there are clear differences, and thanks for reminding us all of them as you did not chose this battle, but you are facing it with strength and dignity and even if that is not bravery, it is worthy of mention(and which I will always admire you for)....... The 'hand squeeze' will get a mention at some point, and at the right moment...... Smile...... Uncle Jim X

    ReplyDelete
  4. And so say all of us xxxxxxxxxxx Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two young ladies showing different kinds of "strength in the face of pain or grief" (definition of courage). xxx

    ReplyDelete